Adding and verifying your WordPress website in google webmaster tools is the most important part as far as the ranking of your WordPress website in the google search is concerned. It makes indexing of the posts and the pages of your WordPress blog easier for google search engines. In this article, we will show you some of the methods by which you can verify WordPress site with google webmaster tools.
When you add a property or a site in google webmaster tools, you are required to verify that you are the owner of this site or the property. Adding and verifying a website with google webmaster tools is not a complicated process rather it is an easier one. Below are some of the methods by which you can verify a WordPress site with google.
Verify WordPress site with google webmaster by “HTML tag” method
This method of verifying your website’s ownership is similar to the method used for verifying blogger blog in google webmaster tools.
1. Go to Google webmaster tools.
2. On the top right, click sign in.
3. Sign in using Gmail or Google account.
4. Click add property, enter your website address and then tap add property. For example, if I want to verify my site purelearner.com, I will enter purelearner.com.
6. Now click the “HTML tag” method which will either be the recommended or the alternate method.
7. Copy the meta tag as shown below;
8. Open a new tab and go to your WordPress website’s dashboard.
9. Tap on the appearance and then tap on the editor.
10. Now tap on header.php.
11. Paste the meta tag that you have copied (in step 7) between <head> section, before the first <body> section as shown below:
11. Scroll down and click on update file.
12. Now go back to the previous tab (step 7).
13. Click verify, this should verify your site in google webmaster tools.
Verify WordPress site with google webmaster by uploading HTML file in the file manager
All the first 5 steps of the above method (step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) are same.
6. Now instead of the recommended method tap on the alternate method.
7. Now tap “HTML file upload” option.
8. Then click download this HTML verification file.
9. Now open a new tab and go to the Cpanel of your site.
10. Click on the file manager.
11. Then click on upload file now.
12. Now upload the file that you have just downloaded (in step 8) and click save.
13. Now go back to the previous tab (of step 7) and tap verify. This should verify your site.
If this method also fails then use another method given below to verify site in google. This method is easier than the first two methods.
Verify WordPress site with google webmaster using Yoast plugin
This method is the simpler than the above two methods.
All the 6 steps (that is step 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6) of the above two methods are same.
7. Go to your WordPress website’s dashboard.
8. Click on plugins and then tap add new.
9. Now install the Yoast SEO plugin and activate it.
10. Go to the installed plugins and locate the Yoast SEO plugin and click on its settings.
11. Now tap on webmaster tools.
12. Paste the meta tag (which you have copied in step 7 of the first method) inside “google verification code” bar as shown below and click save changes.
13. Go back to the tab of step 6 of the first method and tap verify.
This should verify your site ownership in google webmaster tools. Also, your site will now be indexed in google search results. If you face any difficulty in any of the above steps, you can also leave a comment below. You can also contact us in the contact section. Feel free for any queries or suggestions.